They can impersonate the ATO and contact businesses to try and collect false tax debts or entice people to click on links to access non-existent tax refunds.
Avoiding scams and identity theft is not easy. Protect your business, financial and personal information by taking precautions and being aware of what you share:
- Secure your business premises and ensure no one has access to your mail or other information.
- Secure your systems by using strong and secure passwords, ensuring your devices have the latest security updates, using a spam filter on your email accounts and securing your wireless network.
- Ensure you perform background checks on new employees and restrict their access to systems.
- Be able to track the actions of employees who deal with sensitive and personal information.
- Protect your myGovID by using the security features in your device such as fingerprint, face or password.
- Monitor your accounts for unusual activity or transactions.
- Do not download programs or open attachments you are unsure of.
If your business information has been compromised or stolen, or you’re unsure about a phone call, text message or email you’ve received, contact the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) on 1800 467 033 or visit verify or report a scam on the ATO website.